Recipe | A basic autumn granola bar






University started back last week so in celebration (yes, I was dying to get back into it) I made these autumn inspired granola bars adapted from the very 
talented Aran who is behind the blog and Instagram Cannelle et Vanille (@cannellevanille). I am so inspired by Aran's work and look forward to her Instagram posts every day.





These granola bars are extremely versatile - you can put whatever seeds, nuts and dried fruit tickles your fancy and there are plenty of other variations throughout the recipe. I used dried apricot, walnuts and pumpkin seeds in these ones. I think the next batch I make I might feed (excuse the pun) my fig obsession and use dried figs. I adore a good granola bar and these definitely are to my liking - was a great feeling pulling one out during my lecture first day back!

2 cups rolled oats

1/2 cup quinoa flakes, puffed rice or puffed millet or quick oats (the purpose is to have something that has a finer texture than the rolled oats - I just used puffed rice from Coles)

2 1/2 cups seeds, nuts or any dried fruit (in this recipe I used walnuts, apricots and pumpkin seeds)

1/4 cup coconut oil (can also use butter)

1/4 cup apple juice
1/4 cup agave syrup (can use maple syrup)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon each ground cinnamon and ginger (or any other spices you would like to taste)
3/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten (if you would like to make it vegan, you could use 1 very ripe mashed banana with 2 tablespoons of almond butter instead)




Preheat oven to 180C. Line an 8”x8” square pan with baking paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the first three ingredients.

In a small saucepan, combine the butter, apple juice, agave syrup, vanilla, spices and salt. Heat over medium heat until butter melted (or until warm if not using butter). Pour this mixture over the dry ingredients and fold until combined. Add the eggs and fold.
Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes until golden brown. 
Let the granola cool in the pan completely before cutting or it will crumble.

Happy cooking x 
The recipe is adapted from the wonderful Cannelle et Vanille blog

Popular Posts