Visit | Barrio Collective




And just when I thought the Canberra cafe scene couldn't get any better... the boys behind Barrio Collective have totally nailed it with this wonderfully understated cafe that I had the pleasure of popping into yesterday whilst in Canberra. It is simply perfect.

                

    | Part owner Duncan with barista Miles |






     

    | Coffee cups made by Joey Burns whose studio is Sawpit Studios located in Gundaroo, NSW |

Barrio was recently opened in June by owners Sam Burns, Dan Zivkovich and Duncan Turner on the now hopping Lonsdale Street in Braddon, Canberra in June this year. I met Duncan and barista Miles who were both incredibly welcoming and chilled out as they did their thing. They were very happy to chat with me about this wonderful space and community they have created.

The cafe has a strong focus on simplicity with the trio going the extra mile and focusing on producing a seasonal menu and the perfect coffee - and perfect it is! This simplicity is felt as soon as I walk in the door, or even before with their clever window seat grabbing my eye from across the street. The white hexagonal tiles, concrete textured walls and wooden trims are a perfect marriage. The small space has been carefully thought out with long benches and a communal table in the middle all leading to their counter and open style kitchen, where all the food and coffee magic happens. The sun pours in through the front windows making the space feel warm and welcoming. I could sit in here all day.

Duncan spoke with me about their focus on utilising local food and produce - their delicious coffees are made with unhomogenised milk from three dairy farms down here along the NSW South Coast. I have met two of these producers and often buy this milk and can definitely vouch for the quality of it.  I managed to get my hands on their last cherry danish from Canberra based cafe-bakery A.Baker. It was everything you want a danish to be - pastry was flakey on the outside with a slight buttery taste and not too sweet and the cherry filling, which was sitting on a layer of custard, was the perfect amount of sour meets sweet. The cafe does have a menu with breakfast and lunch options which is carefully curated to be paired with their coffee using local and seasonal produce and with a strong focus on simplicity. Everything on the menu sounds damn good.

It is obvious these boys have a strong passion for what they're doing through their commitment to talk the talk and walk the walk. I believe it is this genuine passion that has led to the wonderful environment of this cafe with a strong community feeling. I loved being in here chatting to both Duncan and Miles whilst I took many a photo of a flat white that Miles had made me. This cafe is on point with everything from the friendly people running it, to the fit out, the coffee and the menu. It is places like this that really excite me and make me want to be involved in the industry, hence the ridiculous amounts of photographs of this beautiful space on my camera...

It was so nice to be back in Canberra - it's incredible cafe and food scene has exploded in the last 4 or 5 years and is now home to so many wonderful cafes and restaurants (as well as many splendid people). If you are in Canberra I would highly recommend you pop by Barrio for a coffee, a chat with the boys or to angst over what delicious item to order off their menu. I have to say, Barrio is my new favourite Canberra cafe and I wish the guys behind it all the best. It is very likely this post will require a part II involving Barrio's menu... And I look forward to it.

Barrio Collective | ORI Building 59/30 Lonsdale Street, Braddon - ACT
Open: MON - FRI 7am - 3pm SAT/SUN 8am - 3pm



Popular Posts